No you don't, my wallet isn't smiling.
This Valentine's Day holiday thing is getting out of control. I think I speak for all men who are already committed in a serious relationship when I say that there should be a Valentine's Day exception for folks like us. Valentine's Day is pretty much 360 days of the year in chez Field. Not cool having to fight over dudes in the flower shop who visit that bad boy once a year. I am a regular damn it! I should be treated with some respect. ($60 for a dozen roses?! No frequent shopper discount?! "No Mr. Field; you pay the same as everybody else". Dude must be a republican.) And don't even get me started on the crowded restaurants. Pssst, fellows, here is a hint for you: next year you should take her to lunch or an early dinner.
Anywhoo, all is well that ends well. We won't have to worry about that little bugger Cupid coming around for another year, playing on our heart strings, and sticking us for our paper with that damn arrow of his.
"Each day is Valentine's Each day is Valentine's Day"
No it isn't. And I, for one, am thankful for that.
One person who won't be enjoying this Valentine's Day is Reeva Steenkamp. She is the now deceased girlfriend of South African "blade runner", Oscar Pistorius. My man allegedly shot his model girlfriend to death and from all reports is claiming that he thought that she was an intruder.
This is a huge story in South Africa. This is their version of the O.J. Simpson circus.
South Africa, like the United States, is a violent place, and folks who have money live in gated and guarded communities away from the have- nots. They also arm themselves to the teeth just in case. Pistorius is no exception. My man loves his guns and he knows how to use them.
I just hope for his sake that he didn't decide to use his gun for something other than protection this time.

0 Comments