
So my racism chasing ways led me to the following story from my local paper:
"My corner of Chester County doesn't make national news too often, but it did on Election Day 2008.
Voters trying to cast ballots in Lower Oxford Township East stood in lines for so long that TV crews showed up to capture the scene. Some of those waiting ordered out for pizza. Sympathetic neighbors brought water and coffee. When the last vote was cast shortly before 11 p.m., polls were officially closing on the West Coast and Barack Obama had already been declared the winner.
Some of the 1,440 who voted there that day waited for seven to eight hours in the rain, queuing up close enough to working railroad tracks to reach out and touch passing freight cars. The tiny community center they waited to enter could accommodate only seven booths and one optical scanner. The adjacent parking lot was big enough for a dozen cars.
This wasn't a mistake. It was deliberate. It was the clearest example you could hope to find of partisan politics trumping common sense and civic duty.
This wasn't a mistake. It was deliberate. It was the clearest example you could hope to find of partisan politics trumping common sense and civic duty.
The key detail about this is that the precinct in question includes Lincoln University, the nation's oldest black college, home to roughly 1,600 students. This is the largest bloc of African American voters in any precinct in predominantly white, Republican Chester County. Blacks tend to vote Democratic. Republicans don't mind making it harder for them to cast ballots.
This kind of political chicanery is standard fare, of course, but it assumes an uglier cast when race enters the story. "
I know that we are long past those glorious days in A-merry-ca when hope reigned supreme, but this story still stinks to high heaven. Have these people in the majority population no shame? But wait.....
" The two Republican commissioners responsible, Carol Aichele and Terence Farrell, were clearly motivated by politics, not race (Farrell is black, and his parents both taught at Lincoln), but there is an ugly undercurrent to this whole affair with deeper historical roots." [Story]
Come again Mr. Bowden. One of the commissioners was black? White folks, I apologize. Oh my! Is there no limit to what the house Negro will do for acceptance? "Farrell is black, and his parents both taught at Lincoln"? And yet this slave catcher tried to make it harder for blacks to vote in a historic election? Pinch me, I must be dreaming. Hey it's one thing to support a different political party or ideology than most black folks. That's fine. We can't be monolithic, and that type of intellectual diversity actually benefits us in the long run. But playing sneaky political games to shut out a portion of the electorate who has traditionally been underrepresented, and who happens to belong to a group you yourself belong to, borders on criminal.
Mr. Farrell, the house is too good for you, because as much as I get on the house Negro, if I am going to be honest; there were actually some good slaves in the house. You, Mr. Farrell, belong in the [out]house. More specifically, in the sewer, with the rest of the filth.
Before I go I would like to follow up on a story I recently blogged about. Seems that the guy who got down with Mitt on the plane the other day was none other than Barry Gordy's grandson. (I swear you can't make this stuff up.) And the guy is claiming that Mitt actually assaulted him first. (See his story here) -BTW, is it me, or does it seem like this Sky Blu character is spoofing something?-
Oh well Mitt, I hope this works out for you. But next time, as I told you before, don't fly commercial.

0 Comments