This is going to be more of a rant than a post. I am quite sure that most of you will disagree with my position on this, but it's a pet peeve of mine which bothers me more on some occasions than it does others.
This was such an occasion. I just got back from a Dunkin Donuts around the corner from my house, and honest to god I have had it with tip cups in these service establishments. Like WTF? Why can't these businesses pay their employees without depending on my damn tip to supplement their income?
I am sorry, but if I buy a coffee and bagel for x amount of dollars plus tax, that is all I expect to pay. I don't feel like getting the fuzzy eyeball from some guy at a cash register because I decide to put my change in my pocket. And I consider myself a decent tipper (15-20% depending on the service) but there are certain jobs, such as waiting tables, where tipping is a part of the deal. You deserve a tip because you are actually giving me service. Reaching over and picking up a fucking bagel and then ringing up a cash register doesn't get you a tip. Thing is, you look in the tip cup and you see all these dollar bill stuffed to the top, and you feel like a complete jerk if you don't leave something. Not to mention everyone in the joint looking at you like you are a damn serial killer or some shit. I swear they all stop what they are doing at that exact moment when you get your change back. "Oh field, stop being so cheap, you can more than afford to give the poor people a little tip, they probably only make $7 an hour." Well maybe they should be in another line of work. They might want to consider the type of service job where people are supposed to get a tip. I don't see a tip cup at my supermarket, or the post office (not yet, but I am sure that's coming), or my cleaners..wait I take that back, my cleaner does have a tip cup. Geez!
And let's not lose focus of who this is about. It's not about the employees, it's about the damn owners of these joints who hire these people with the promise of a big fat tip cup at the register. Here is something that these owners might want to consider: pay these folks a decent wage and lose the damn tip cups. They are annoying.

0 Comments