Anyway, the curious case of Virginia Governor Ralph Northam had us all scratching our collective heads. There he was (or now he says he wasn't) in a college yearbook in the year of our Lord 1984, posing in a klan outfit or in black face (he wasn't sure which one) for all the world to see. I swear you can't make this stuff up. His nickname in school was "coonman" for crying out loud.
But it get's crazier. The governor actually said that he put on his black face so that he could play Michael Jackson in a dance contest, and that he had a lot of black friends. Yes, he really said that. This was 1984, before Michael became white, so I guess that it's possible. But why do it in the first place?
Honestly, I actually feel sorry for this guy, because he represents what is wrong with so many folks of his ilk in this country. He is a casual racist, who still doesn't understand the historical significance of his actions. The problem for him is that he is a democrat, and democrats, unlike their republican pals, will not embrace such an individual in their party. Had he been a republican they would have rallied around him and told the liberal snowflakes to get over it. (Still crickets from trump on Mr Nazi himself, Steve King.)The democrats can't afford to do that, because there are too many people of color under their tent.
Governor Ralph now says that he is not stepping down, and that it was not him in any of those pictures that have been floating around from his college days. I wonder what made him decide to change his mind. First he said that he was in the picture, now he says that he isn't. Clearly he did something similar because he would not have though that it was him in the first place.
If someone told me that there is a sex tape floating around out there with me and Emayatzy Corinealdi, I would be like no way, because I know that I never had sex with Emayatzy Corinealdi. But if I had sex with Emayatzy Corinealdi and someone said there was a sex tape out there, I would probably do what Governor Ralph did when he first heard of the racist pictures: admit that it was me getting my business on with the Nubian beauty. Clearly he did something similar to what is being alleged, and he is now trying his best to do damage control.
Over the weekend the usual suspects piled on, and folks on the right feigned outrage for political reasons. The chorus has grown louder and louder for the Governor to step down.
My two cents: Governor Ralph should step down. Not because he is any different than the thousands of racists in similar positions, but sadly for him, because he was caught.

0 Comments