"On Fox News Sunday this morning, Fox News contributors George Will and Brit Hume mocked the #BringBackOurGirls campaign, a piece of Twitter activism intended to increase pressure on the Nigerian government and international community to more actively seek the return of over 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls, arguing the campaign was intended solely to soothe the consciouses of those tweeting.
“I was not that familiar with this phenomenon,” host Chris Wallace said. “It’s even got a name: hash tag activism. Do you think that this is significant and helpful and can make progress, or do you think it’s really about helping the people who tweet the hash tag feel better about themselves?”
“It’s an exercise in self esteem,” Will said. “I do not know how adults stand there, facing a camera, and say ‘Bring back our girls.’ Are these barbarians in the wilds of Nigeria supposed to check their Twitter accounts and say, ‘Uh-oh, Michelle Obama is very cross with us, we better change our behavior?’”
It’s trending!” Hume yukked. “It’s trending on Twitter!” [Source]
Ha -ha -ha- ha.
If you are surprised that the FOX panel would make light of over 200 school girls being viciously kidnapped by Muslim extremist, you don't understand the mindset of the right.
To them, African girls are way down on the pecking order in terms of importance. They have two strikes against them: They are not Americans, and they are not white.
This is why they can make light of an attempt by social network activists to bring attention to a very serious tragedy playing itself out across the world and not concern themselves with the consequences.
The lives of these girls don't matter, only the lives of the Americans who perished at Benghazi do. (Although we all know that they really don't care about them, either. Just politics.) They were Americans. Their lives matter. Those girls, on the other hand, not so much.
Finally, a few words about Mother's Day.
Kevin Durant gave a moving speech while accepting his MVP trophy the other day. There was not a dry eye in the room, and when you listen to it you can understand why.
"Everybody told us we weren't supposed to be here. We moved from apartment to apartment by ourselves. One of the best memories I have is when we moved into our first apartment. No bed, no furniture, and we just all sat in the living room and hugged each other because we thought we made it.
"When something good happens to you, I don't know about you guys, but I tend to look back to what brought me here. You woke me up in the middle of the night in the summertimes. Making me run up a hill. Making me do push-ups. Screaming at me from the sidelines at my games at 8 or 9 years old.
"We weren't supposed to be here. You made us believe. You kept us off the street, put clothes on our backs, food on the table. When you didn't eat, you made sure we ate. You went to sleep hungry. You sacrificed for us. You're the real MVP."
I can't relate to Durant's speech on personal level, but I certainly can on a professional one.
I see lots of women just like his mother every day, and I honestly don't know how they do it.
Today is a good day to recognize those mothers. Let's not forget all the sacrifices that they make on a daily basis for their families.
Happy Mother's Day.

0 Comments