Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

A "teachable moment"?


It seems that a lot of bloggers in my area are all over the following story so I will bite.
Apparently a young Bucks County teacher, Matthew Curran, used a poor choice of visual aids to teach an 8th grade class about math.

Do you see that picture up there? That's what he used for his class on math to get them to focus on "solving equations." ( I am not sure what the hell that pic has to do with solving equations, unless, of course, they are going to count my man's teeth.) So now the Bucks County NAACP is outraged, and they want sensitivity training for the poor chap.

"We have a problem with sensitivity," said NAACP President John Jordan. "Some things are totally uncalled for and unnecessary, and this was one of them."

Hmmmm, I don't know folks, I would say that on a scale of one to ten on my racism meter this is registering as a four. I mean if the guy really is a racist wouldn't he do a better job of covering it up? He said he got the picture off of the Internet and he used it because it featured a caption with words his students are always using. ("Nooo Way") That seems plausible to me. But field, you do realize, don't you, that there is only one African American in the class. Well yeah, that is a little problematic... I tell you what; let's move Matthew Curran up to a five on the racism meter.

"John Jordan, President of the Bucks County NAACP, says the parents of the only African-American in the class expressed "anger, rage, disappointment" to the Central Bucks School District, the NAACP and now, attorney Ersula Cosby."The teacher went through a lot of trouble to find this offensive image," believes Cosby."

OK, I will give him a six, but that's it. [Story here]
Go Phillies!!!

Post a Comment

0 Comments