The thing is, though, no one should be surprised. This is not an unusual way of thinking for men in the majority population of a certain age here in America. I am dissapointed at all the people doing like Inspector Renault from Casablanca who are "shocked" to see that an NBA team owner can be a racist.
The fact that Sterling held these views has been the worst kept secret in the sports world, and yet he was allowed to continue owning the Clippers and reach into his deep pockets to purchase high priced free agents and an equally high profile African American coach. (Please don't tell me that Doc Rivers didn't know about Sterling. He ---like the LA chapter of the NAACP---should be ashamed of himself.
I was having a debate on twitter about who of our latest news making racists was more dangerous. I thought that it was Sterling, others, on the other hand, thought that it was Cliven Bundy.
I picked Sterling because of the personal power and influence that he has. The others chose Bundy because of the dangerous people around him and the political influence that he (and folks like him) has.
I suppose that you could go either way.
It's interesting to note that Cliven Bundy's racism was sure to be exposed at some point. He is clearly not as sophisticated as Sterling and not as practiced at hiding his true feelings. Sterling's racism was revealed because he pissed off his lover. Bundy's was revealed because he just kept talking.
Finally, just a quick thought before I go. I was wondering, why aren't these guys considered "thugs"?

0 Comments