We have all heard that saying before, and lately it seems that republicans are trying their best to make it true.
Take our friend Don Yelton, the former republican party chairman from North Carolina.
Don got himself in some trouble lately for publicly stating what we know many of his ideological mates say privately. Dude was on Comedy Central, but there was nothing funny about his comments.
"Mr. Yelton – who until Thursday was a precinct chairman in North Carolina’s Buncombe County – talked with “Daily Show” correspondent Aasif Mandvi about a new state law that requires photo identification to vote. Civil rights advocates charge that such laws are intended to suppress minority votes.
“As a matter of fact, one of my best friends is black,” he added.
Things went downhill from there. Yelton told "The Daily Show” correspondent that he’d had a caricature of President Obama dressed as a witch doctor sitting on a stump, but that the drawing made fun of the president’s “white half, not his black half.” (Mr. Obama’s mother was white, his father black.) He complained that blacks could use the N-word, but not whites. Only he didn’t say “N-word”; he said the word itself.
“You know we can hear you, right?” Mr. Mandvi said in the on-camera interview.
Yelton went on to say that the photo ID law would “kick Democrats in the butt.”
“If [the photo ID law] hurts the whites, so be it. If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that want the government to give them everything, so be it,” Yelton said." [Source]
I would love to meet Don's "black friend". No doubt one of those conservative Negroes.
Anyway, Don is not apologizing for his bigoted statements about black folks.
"In a Friday interview with WWNC’s The Pete Kaliner Show, disgraced North Carolina GOP precinct chair Don Yelton expressed no remorse over his racially-charged remarks on The Daily Show that led to his resignation.
Yelton drew the ire of his own colleagues after referring to “a bunch of lazy blacks” during an interview with Daily Show correspondent Aasif Mandvi. He tendered his resignation as a result of the controversy and the state GOP publicly distanced itself from his remarks.
But is Yelton apologetic?
“No, I don’t take back anything I said,” he told Kaliner on Friday morning. “Would I do it again? Yes, I would.”
Yelton claimed the show “created an illusion that I was just personally had an agenda against the blacks, tried to make it talking about racism rather than the real issue of illegal voting.” He countered that narrative by claiming “I’ve hired blacks before” and that his “best friend is black.”
Unconvinced, Kaliner noted that “I don’t think anything that the show did through their editing made you look any worse than you made yourself look in that interview.”
“Well that’s your opinion,” Yelton dismissed.
“Was it worth it?” Kaliner repeatedly pressed.
“Yeah,” Yelton eventually conceded. “I found the truth. The truth is, [the GOP's] got no guts.” [Source]
He is unapologetic because he knows that his party, behind closed doors, believes that what he said is true.
He is calling them "gutless" because they won't own up, publicly.
Finally, our friend Glenn Beck wants you to know that his family is not "white trash".
"Something disturbing happened to Glenn Beck's daughter in the hospital, where she'd just given birth to her first child. The disturbing thing? A nurse suggested that Hannah Beck was poor.
[T]he nurse proceeded to offer this bone-chilling advice to the new parents: "Look, don’t shake the baby or you’re going to end up on the news.""Oh, but then she has some advice for them. [menacing voice] 'Look. Don't shake the baby, or you're going to end up on the news.'
"I'm sorry, do my children look like baby shakers?" Beck demanded. "So my daughter is having her first breastfeeding experience, with, I don’t know, somebody who lost their heart or something. I don’t know. And everybody has a bad day, but you don’t do that job and have a bad day."
"I'm sorry. Do my children look like baby shakers? Do my children look like white trash?"
Here, via Glenn Beck's personal site is a photo of this daughter and her husband, indicated with arrows, at their upstate New York wedding last year. Do they look like baby shakers? Like white trash? You be the judge." [Source]
Nope, that would be the guy standing to the right.
Money can buy you a lot of things, but unfortunately for Glenn, class is not one of them

0 Comments