
"KILL HIM"! "TRAITOR","TERRORIST"!, "TREASON", "....HUSSEIN OBAMA", "BOOOOO".
If you have been attending events for a certain political candidate over the past few days, the cries and shouts quoted above are what you were most likely to hear. The mood from the "patriotic" right has been a combination of both grim and angry ( Mr. Morton's wife has even accused her husband's opponent of putting her son in harms way). They cannot believe that this "exotic" unpatriotic, terrorist sympathizer could actually become their president. But the clock is running out, and from all appearances their guy is down by a couple of touchdowns. Not good.
Now, I have to confess, I am not all that patriotic (I know field, you are a "world citizen." Why don't you take your ganga smoking ass back to Jamaica, mon?). If I see two human beings drowning and I can only save one, I sure as hell won't ask to see his or her passport before I jump in. So you know where I stand on that issue. And because of my position on issues of patriotism, I tend to be less sympathetic to these rants about his O ness not being patriotic than the next guy. Honestly, the entire debate is kind of silly. And I tend to view people who waive flags or bibles too much with a cynical mistrustful eye. These are the same assholes who used to gather for social events centered around strange fruits hanging from trees back in the day. And I honestly don't think that they have changed much. The O man just brought out their inner hate.
So why is Mr. Morton doing this? Surely he must know that he is going to turn off independents with this latest campaign of anger and hate (Although, to his credit, Mr. Morton took some steps towards a higher road today). Someone should tell him that he is going to get the red neck anyone but the black man vote no matter what; and that reaching out to these people is pointless. He is just tarnishing his legacy and his reputation by allowing that crazy ass, empty headed, moose hunting fraud, to run wild at her modern day Klan rallies. Another side effect of all this anti Obama madness, is that he has fired up the O man's base, and first time voters have registered in record numbers to come out for his O ness. This is not good for Mr. Morton, and he had better hope for an early November snow storm here on the East Coast to keep these Negroes from coming out (You know we don't like the cold too much).
Today I was heading home and I saw a pretty large anti war crowd around city hall. In the crowd were quite a few enthusiastic young Obama supporters, who were passing out flyers and encouraging folks to come out for his O ness tomorrow.
"You going to the Obama rally tomorrow sir?"
"No, but I will be there in spirit."
"Are you going to vote in November?"
"Yes; are you?"
"Oh, you better believe it, this is the most important election of our lifetimes."
"How old are you," I asked him.
"Twenty four, sir."
"Don't worry, you are young. There will be quite a few more important elections in your future."
"Well, if we elect John McCain, I might not have a future sir."
The wisdom of youth.

0 Comments