
Two things happened today which made me decide on this post. First, I was in court waiting on a friend of mine when I struck up a conversation with an older African American gentleman. He was there supporting his grandson who was being tried on a drug charge. He asked me if I was a lawyer, I said yes, and we took it from there. I never like to answer legal questions to people I don't represent, so I changed the subject. I asked him what he thought of the upcoming elections, and if he thought his O ness was going to win. "Yes lawd yes", he told me. "Honestly man, I can't wait for November 4th to get here, I just hope and pray that they don't do nothing to that man, and that he don't say nothing stupid to piss off these white folks." (Did I tell you that I love Philly? The honesty from the man on the street here is refreshing)
The second thing happened while driving home. True confessions; I often listen to conservative talk radio. And one of their host was going on and on about how disappointed African Americans will be if Obama loses. He said (and I am paraphrasing) that even if Obama wins, it won't be long before black folks are so disappointed in him that they are going to be in for a tremendous let down. In essence what he was saying was that black folks have so much invested emotionally in Obama, that it could get ugly if he loses. And that we should chill and take it down a notch. s
Both those experiences had me thinking about this final weekend of the campaign, and just what will the reaction be if Obama loses? (Oh yes he could lose. These rethugs play dirty, and they will do anything to win an election) Will we take to the streets like some seem to want to suggest? Will we just sit around the house and not eat for days, like someone who has just been dumped by the love of their life? Or will it finally cause black folks to wake up from all the grinning and jiving here in A-merry-ca, and force us to become politically conscious and engaged?
And what if he does win? How long will the feeling of euphoria last? Folks, we can only party to EWF, eat fried chicken and drink Caurvoisier for so long. What happens when the O man has to start making real policy decisions that might affect programs that we care about? What happens when Obama appoints a federal Judge whose views we find repulsive? What happens when the O man has to go to some of those red states that we wish would just fucking secede and make nice?
I am going to come clean right now: I will be a happy camper if Obama wins, because I think his election is important and historic. I think his temperament and persona is suited for the office, and I honestly think he will rule from the center. But the first day he fucks up, I will be calling him out right here on this blog. And please don't give me the he is a brotha so cut him some slack speech. His job is too important, and honestly, I think he will understand that. He will understand that he doesn't get a free pass from black critical thinkers just because he is black. Maybe this isn't the best analogy but I will use it anyway: Donovan is the quarterback of my hometown Eagles. When his ass throws a bad pass or makes a bad audible in the huddle, I don't think there is anyone in Philadelphia who boos his ass as loud as I do. Why? Because he is the quarterback of my team, and I hold his ass accountable for his actions on that football field. The O man is the quarterback of the country, and I will be holding his ass accountable for what goes on at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Our boy is not close to winning this thing yet. And to stay with our football analogy, it's the fourth quarter and McCain is down, but he has three time- outs left.
November 4th the whistle will sound, and the game will be over. If you look up at that scoreboard and Obama has 277, go to FOX NEWS or turn on conservative talk radio and get ready to have some fun. If it's McCain, on the other hand, sitting at that number, get a nice travel magazine and start dusting off your passport. Because Mr. Morton will be coming after all of you Negroes, and since damn near 96% of you are voting for Obama, he can just pretty much point and shoot. (Relax Sarah, I don't mean that in a literal way)
Oh boy, now I am nervous.

0 Comments