Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Girl fight, and Paula finds a friend in the house.

I just got back from New York. (Shout out to Harlem.) As usual, I had a good time meeting my fellow bloggers at the Blogging While Brown conference and learning some tricks of the blogging trade.

Keep up the good work, people.

So anyway, I am a big tennis fan, and I have enjoyed Serena's recent run to the top of the tennis world at the ripe young age of 31.

Unfortunately for Serena, though, she has found herself in some hot water after her comments about the Steubenville, Ohio rape victim.

"World tennis number one Serena Williams has apologized after reportedly appearing to criticise the victim in a high-profile US rape case.

Rolling Stone magazine quoted her as saying the teenager in the Steubenville, Ohio, case "shouldn't have put herself in that position".

Williams has now released a statement on her website saying she was "deeply sorry for what was written".

I am glad she apologized; it's never good to blame the victim.

But this post isn't so much about Serena's comments as it is the response to it by one of her biggest rivals. Actually, I take that back. Serena has owned Maria Sharapova. This is not a real rivalry.

So anyway, Sharapova had some choice words for Ms. Williams, and she makes it personal by taking a shot at her [Serena's] alleged boyfriend for good measure.

 “At the end of the day, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what we do on the court. I just think she should be talking about her accomplishments, her achievements, rather than everything else that’s just getting attention and controversy,”

...If she wants to talk about something personal, maybe she should talk about her relationship and her boyfriend that was married and is getting a divorce and has kids,” Sharapova continued.

Ouch! I hate to be messy, but dem there is fighting words.

Although, to be fair, maybe she went there because Serena went there first.

"According to the Rolling Stone story, posted online Tuesday, Williams spoke about what the reporter described as “a top-five player who is now in love.”
Williams is quoted as saying: “She begins every interview with ‘I’m so happy. I’m so lucky’ — it’s so boring. She’s still not going to be invited to the cool parties. And, hey, if she wants to be with the guy with a black heart, go for it.”

That is followed by these words in parentheses from the author of the piece, Stephen Rodrick: “An educated guess is she’s talking about Sharapova, who is now dating Grigor Dimitrov, one of Serena’s rumored exes.” [Source]

When does Wimbledon start? I can't wait.

Finally, like death and taxes we knew it was coming: Paula Deen's black friend.

"SAVANNAH, Georgia (CNN) - The Food Network announced Friday that it will not renew the contract of Paula Deen after she admitted using a racial epithet – but a black pastor who is friends with the celebrity chef said she "can't be a racist."
 
Deen apologized Friday for "the wrong that I've done," a move that follows revelations this week that she admitted saying the N-word.

But Pastor Gregory A. Tyson Sr. from First Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia, defended Deen to WTOC, a CNN affiliate.

"I know her," Tyson said. "My children have been to her house. I've been to her house, I've sat on her furniture. I've been all through her house. What racist would let a black man walk all through her house?"[Source]

Thank you Pastor, you can go back to the house now.

I am so glad that I have the Drop Squad on speed dial.











 



Post a Comment

0 Comments