
Is your mama a ho? This is, in essence, what Dolphins GM, Jeff Ireland, asked potential NFL first rounder (and future Dallas Cowgirl) Dez Bryant on his interview with the club leading up to the draft.
Jeff, are you serious? WTF were you thinking? Were you trying to see if the guy could keep his temper in check when pushed? Did you really think his mother was a prostitute and it might affect his play on the field? Did you think that he would love prostitutes-because his mama is one- and he would spend all of his time in Miami's red light district instead of in his play book?
"Last Wednesday, the night before he was selected 24th overall by the Cowboys, former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant(notes) told me that during one of his predraft visits, a high-level executive of one NFL franchise had asked him if his mother, Angela, was a prostitute.“No, my mom is not a prostitute,” said Bryant, whose background – including his mother’s lifestyle and past legal troubles – was under great scrutiny prior to the draft. “I got mad – really mad – but I didn’t show it.” The offender was Ireland, whose franchise apparently holds nothing sacred in regards to its evaluations of potential employees.
In recent weeks, we’ve heard about some preposterous questions that have been tossed at this year’s top draft prospects, including one team’s query to defensive tackle Gerald McCoy(notes) during an interview at the NFL scouting combine: Do you play in a G-string or a jock strap? (Creepy.)"
In recent weeks, we’ve heard about some preposterous questions that have been tossed at this year’s top draft prospects, including one team’s query to defensive tackle Gerald McCoy(notes) during an interview at the NFL scouting combine: Do you play in a G-string or a jock strap? (Creepy.)"
Yes, "creepy" indeed. I mean I know that these teams view these players in the same light that horse trainers view their horses. But they should try to add a little dignity to the process. I heard a house Negro on sports talk today saying what's the big deal? (I am sure that some folks will comment after this post and say the same thing) The Negro is going to be making millions of dollars, no question is off limits. "Mike" he said to the host, "is there any question you wouldn't answer for 40 million dollars?" Nothing like a few dollars to make the house Negro jig.
Can you imagine a potential associate at a law firm being asked a question like that? How about a potential bond trader at a major financial institution?
Look, I get it, teams have to make sure that they don't blow their investment. They don't want some knuckle head going out and getting arrested or letting his body go down because he spends all night chasing women and drinking. But surely there is a better way to find out where a young man's head is than asking him if his mother was a prostitute.
“I don’t care who you are or who you’re talking to – that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in,” says former NFL lineman Kyle Turley(notes). “I mean, where do these people come from? That’s just completely [expletive] classless and totally unprofessional.”
“We need to make sure the men of this league are treated as businessmen," Smith said. "During interviews, our players and prospective players should never be subjected to discrimination or degradation stemming from the biases or misconceptions held by team personnel. NFL teams cannot have the free reign to ask questions during the interview process which can be categorized as stereotyping or which may bring a personal insult to any player as a man."
It's nice to see former players and the current head of the players association speaking out. I am waiting to hear from the commissioner next. Of course, now that he has been outed by Yahoo Sports, Ireland has also apologized:
"Dolphins owner Stephen Ross will “take appropriate actions if necessary” against general manager Jeff Ireland for asking former Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant(notes) whether his mother was ever a prostitute. Ireland apologized for the question, and the NFL players union raised concerns Wednesday about discrimination and degradation. Ross issued a statement saying he’ll look into the matter personally. “As an owner of many companies and organizations, including the Miami Dolphins, I have always strived to comply with the highest standards in all aspects of my businesses, including recruiting,” Ross said. “In interviewing employees, we always look to obtain relevant and appropriate information in adherence with the best industry practices.”
"Relevant and appropriate information"? Is your mama a ho? Was your daddy her pimp?
I hate the Cowgirls, but I can't wait to for them to play the Dolphins. Here is hoping that Bryant torches them for over a 100 yards and a couple of scores. And while he is doing his end zone dance he points to Ireland's box and says: I got your prostitute right here.

0 Comments