Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

If I want it I will ask.



I was going to post a long essay about religion, but I changed my mind. Primarily, because I am not religious, and it was going to be more of a rant than anything else. And, because, I realized, that I can be too hard on organized religion and the people that follow them at times. There are some really good people of faith out here---some of them comment on this site---who are really doing the work that it takes to get them to heaven which quite often benefits those of us here on earth.

But some things about religious people really do bother me, like when they try to proselytize all the time. I hate that. You know what I like about the Jewish faith? They don't proselytize. If you don't want to convert to Judaism, that's on you. No one is begging you to join. That is why I get along so well with my Jewish colleagues. We can hang out and talk shit, and nary a word about Jesus or salvation is ever spoken. (This particular post is timely now, because we are in the midst of Rosh Hashana, so Jewish friend, if you are reading this, Shana Tova.) So anyway, I thought about that yesterday when I was running to the train. (Yeah I know I have to do a better job at time management. Maybe it's because I spend all my free time on this damn computer) and there were these two very nice ladies blocking my path to the escalator like they play defensive line for the Eagles or some shit. "Good morning sir, may I offer you this to read?" No mam, thanks, I am running a little late, maybe tomorrow." "But tomorrow is Saturday, will you be going to work on Saturday? I just want you to take a minute to read this." It's a "Watchtower Magazine. Now I don't want to knock the Jehovah's Witness. I am sure it's a wonderful group and they do some good things. They have some beliefs I like--like the fact that the believe in salvation by works and not faith---and some things I don't like---like only 144,000 of the chosen ones can go to heaven, and they don't donate their organs after they check out. But overall, they are cool with me. (Hell Lark is a JW if I am not mistaken) But they are honestly barking up the wrong tree when they try to proselytize to me. My Daddy was a big time preacher and I was born and raised in the church. Had worship every night at home, Sabbath school, bible studies, the whole nine. So I really don't think there was anything these two sweet well meaning ladies could have told me about Jesus and his love for me that I didn't already know. Bottom line, I had to do like Donovan McNabb; damn near push them out of my way, dip around them, and ultimately left them talking to my back.

Now I am sitting on the train and wondering why well meaning people would even put themselves through that. I actually felt bad about having to diss the church twins. But then I thought about it, and I realized that they probably get dissed all the time.

But they sure were committed. I sure hope they have that kind of commitment and passion for their communities and their race. Promoting a cause they believe in, that's basically all they were doing. Their cause just happened to be tied to a particular belief system. In a way, that's all I am doing here too, proselytizing and pushing a belief system. Just a hard working "field Negro" who wants to uplift his race and his people's condition around the world.

Maybe I am not that different from my two Jehovah's Witness friends.

***On a side note. I have been getting some e-mails from people who are offended when I curse in my posts. Some of them, to the point, where they won't be back to my site, because cursing, in a any forum, offends them. To those people I say; it's not called the world wide web for nothing. There are lots of other sites out there that would more than welcome you, and where I am sure you will find no cursing.


But to those of you who stick around, let me explain my philosophy when it comes to the use of inappropriate language. (If there is such a thing) When a subject pisses me off, I curse. My previous post about dead beats is a classic example. I was pissed, and so I cursed quite often throughout the post. Sorry, I write how I feel. As people like "wo0zie" will tell you, I am no writer. I am just a brother who pounds the keyboard on my computer when my spirit so moves me, and when I see crap going down around me that I have to speak out about. Period. Sometimes I don't curse in my posts, because I have had time to calm down, and my language can reflect my mood. Sometimes I think a curse word would be appropriate, but I am not angry enough when I get around to writing, and as a result, I will write something like this: f**k. That is a compromise curse. It belongs there, but I am not angry enough to write out the full word. Got that?

You will also notice that I try not to curse in my comments section, because, unlike posts, I am more or less speaking to individuals one on one. I am not writing to everyone in general, but responding to an individuals comment. Cursing under those conditions would be like swearing at someone who came into my home, and that would be rude.

Post a Comment

0 Comments