
Boy you Negroes sure are sensitive. Now you don't even want the man to put the word "Negro" on the new census forms because you think it brings back bad memories. The census this year is a really big deal, and we don't need you Negr...-oh excuse me- blacks complaining and screwing things up.
"The fact that it's 2010 and they're still putting 'negro,' I am a little offended," said Secaucus resident Dawud Ingram. Question #9 on the this year's census asks about your race. One of the boxes you can choose is "black," "African American," or "negro," all placed next to the same box. Ingram said it's not a word he uses to identify neither himself nor anybody else. "African Americans haven't been going by the term 'negro' for decades now. It's really confusing," he said.
Calm down Dawud. Black; African American; Negro; what's the difference? You just want to be counted, right? I swear every time I look around you Negr..blacks are complaining about something. Besides, the census people said that older black folks prefer the term Negro.
".. census officials disagree, saying they found some older African Americans identify themselves that way and they're trying to be inclusive. In a statement, they said: "Results from the census in 2000 showed that a number of respondents provided a write-in response of 'negro' when answering the question on race." In fact, Congress approved the form more than a year ago. Newark resident Jabbar Ali can't believe it. "I thought it was something we left behind a long time ago – the word 'negro,'" said Ali."
Jabbar, I can tell by your name that you are one of those radical blacks, so I am not surprised that you have some issues with the word Negro. But, take heart, you are not alone:
"Is the word negro offensive to you? That depends on who you ask. According to The Grio, many older blacks preferred to be called "Negro." "Some prefer it because of their complexion, whether they're light-skinned or dark," said Jeanne R. Stanley, a retiree in Richmond, Va. "Others still have a slave mentality. There are a lot of people who still have a color complex." Personally, I don't like the word. Isn't African American on the form sufficient? Gee, since the authors of the census form are going for the jugular on differentiating races, why not put "Colored" there as well, to denote the lighter skinned blacks among us? The word negro is archaic and surely we can get pass this at this stage of our country's history. " [link]
And then there are Negr..blacks like Derri Gowns:
"Others don't understand why the question of race has to come up on any form. "I'm an American. What's wrong with just being an American?" asked Newark resident Derri Gowns."
Nothing wrong with "just being an American", Derri. I am sure that most other groups feel the same way. I bet white Americans are wondering the same thing: Why do I have to identify myself as white American, why can't I just be an American....?
Anyway folks, regardless of where you come down on this issue, just remember that the 2010 census will be a big deal. (It will even have its own road tour.) I am of the opinion that you should make sure that you are counted. I know some folks always see some kind of evil conspiracy in everything that the government does, but I doubt seriously if an accurate count of the people who make up A-merry-ca would qualify as such.
So fill out the damn form and stop your whining. And just be glad that you don't have to put house or field before that word you hate so much.

0 Comments