Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Living on edge, and the debate post- mortem.

Earlier today I decided to take a ride on this fancy bicycle that I purchased last year. It was a beautiful September evening and I hardly put any miles on my bike all summer.

I figured I would ride a few miles on some bike trails not too far from my home, and actually ride to the trails instead of drive.

Riding gear? Check. Cell phone and earphones? Check. Water? Check.  Half way down my street I had a terrifying thought: What if I was stopped by the police for whatever? (Sir, this won't take long. We have reports of some suspicious activity in the neighborhood.)  I left my wallet because I wasn't driving and I didn't think I needed my driver's license. My emergency numbers were all on the watch I was wearing and on my cell phone, so I really didn't think that I needed it. Until now.

I turned my black ass around; went back to my house; and grabbed my wallet. Inconveniencing to be sure, but these are the little acts that might literally save my life.

I don't think that it was always this way.  A couple of years ago I wouldn't have even given it a second thought. Not anymore. There are too many stories like the one out in California today going around out here.

Some poor sixteen year old caught a serious beat down from the cops out in Cali for jaywalking. Yes, you heard that right; jaywalking. I mean I know that they enforce jaywalking laws out in Cali, but I am not sure that it's worth beating some poor kid like he is an armed felon over.

Once again, thank you Mr. cell phone inventor. Lord knows what happened before citizens started arming themselves with cell phones.

"What happened to you? The Mrs. wanted to know. I thought you were going riding." She was smirking.  "I left my wallet", I told her. "Since when do you need your wallet to go bike riding?"  I didn't bother to respond. I just let that kind of hang out there. I will carry this burden alone. She should just be glad that her husband had a greater chance of coming home safe and sound.

Finally, I watched the republican  Trump debate last night and it was like watching a disaster movie with bad actors. Let's call it political Sharknado.

I kept looking at the big plane in the background, and I kept thinking to myself that it has to be a metaphor for something.  Malaysia Flight 370 is missing with over 200 poor souls. But these eleven are still here.

Image for the news resultAnyway, the general consensus is that Carly  Fiorina was the clear cut winner. Her line about Planned Parenthood had conservatives weak at the knees with glee, and most pundits say that it was the show stealing line of the night.  But there is one little problem: It was a lie. The tape she described does not exist.

She wasn't the only one lying. Jeb Bush said that his brother kept us all safe while he was president to loud applause from the audience. Everyone forgetting, of course, what happened on another beautiful September day 14 years ago.  (Those planes in the background again.)

OK, maybe it was better than Sharknado. I watched the entire thing, and I can honestly say that the plot and the special effects were better.

*Pic from mic.com



    

Post a Comment

0 Comments