Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Some random Sunday evening rants. Because if I keep thinking about Haiti I will lose my mind.


Honestly, my mind is all over the place tonight. I could write about what is going on in Haiti and the relief effort there, but I am going to have to pass on that for now. I read some of the comments after my last post and the shit was depressing. People trying to give me (of all people) a history lesson about Haiti, Third World politics, and a sociological breakdown of the Caribbean region....why? As if any of this has anything to do with a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocking the poor people. All of that is just background noise to a tune that we should really be listening to: The people of Haiti are suffering here and now, and they need our help. Period. We can debate their history and why they are a Third World country later. Geeez!

Besides, after seeing some of the images from Haiti over at finefroghair's blog I need a diversion. If only for awhile. I even thought about blogging about his O ness and his potential health care Waterloo in Massachusetts, but I don't feel like blogging about politics, either.

So anyway, to get my mind off of things, I went and caught The Book Of Eli today. (Hey, Denzel is in it, and I am married to a black woman. There is no way in hell I was going to get out of seeing that bad boy.) It's Road Warrior meets Passion Of The Christ if you ask me. And overall it was a decent flick. Although I saw that Magic Negro theme again. But that's just me.

I also want to talk about an e-mail that my man The Organic Intellectual sent me about Fantasia Barrino's venture into the reality television market. Sadly, I have to say that I agree with his take on the show: It's bullshit! The images it projects does nothing for our people. (Why is it that shows like this and Flava Flav's now infamous program do so well?) And, of course, as fate would have it, it's a hit. Gee there is a surprise.

Speaking of hits. Can someone tell me how this "pants on the ground" man, Larry Platt, got so large? I mean don't get me wrong, I agree with old boy. And if what I hear about him is true, I have mad respect for him. But the man has no talent. Are we that desperate for talent here in A-merry-ca? Or is it strictly an American Idol phenomenon? I need to know that. I mean how far is this thing going to go?

Speaking of talent; shout out to Mo'Nique for just winning a Golden Globe Award for her role in the movie Precious. Yep, I saw the flick, and I think she deserves it. Girlfriend acted her behind off. Well... that would have taken a lot of acting. But you know where I am going; she really did a great job with her role.

And while we are on the subject of the movie Precious. Mo'Nique's fellow actor in that flick, Mariah "Scary", ought to be ashamed of herself for showing up to accept an award drunk. And then, to make matters worse, she tried to blame it all on my homeboy, Lee Daniels. Talk about House Negro behavior. That was it. Mariah, you have some great pipes, but you really need to have someone help you with your public persona.

And finally, just another sobering reminder that your life is not promised to you tomorrow. Gaines Adams was the fourth pick in the NFL draft just a couple of years ago. He was a ferocious defensive end for the Chicago Bears. Today he is dead. He died after going into a cardiac arrest. He was only 26 years old and he no doubt had a full life ahead of him to look forward to. Yep, life can be fickle like that. So let's enjoy it while we are here, people. You only do it once.

Happy MLK Day Tomorrow.

I am out.

Post a Comment

0 Comments