So anyway, I agree with HHS Secretary Sebelius that the little girl who is in Children's Hospital here in Philly and waiting to get on the adult waiting list for a lung should not be moved to the adult list.
The doctors who set up the transplant criteria set it up the way they did for a reason. While I feel for the little girl and her parents, her mother getting on television and crying for her little girl should not change the policy because this one little girl has gotten all this public sympathy.
Now, because of public pressure, the Secretary is calling for a review of the policy, and a federal Judge took the unusual step of ordering the Secretary to make exceptions for this little girl and put her on the adult waiting list.
Now look, I can't say that I blame her parents, if I had a little girl that was dying I would do everything in my power to save her as well. But that doesn't mean that we should change the rules in our society for this one little girl.
Now, as a result, Pandora's box has been opened.
"A second child at a Philadelphia hospital is asking a federal judge to order that he be put on the adult waiting list for a donated lung.
The mother of 11-year-old Javier Acosta filed a lawsuit Thursday that says if he does not get a donated set of lungs soon he will die.
The case was initiated a day after a national organ transplant network complied with a judge's unusual order and placed a dying 10-year-old girl on the list.
Javier, a boy with cystic fibrosis who lives in the Bronx, is currently in the intensive care unit at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
I wonder if some of these people crying for little Sarah would have cried as hard for Eduardo Loredo who also needed a transplant but couldn't afford it because his parents didn't have the money to pay for it.

0 Comments