
City Council here in my fine city convened recently to pass legislation on banning trans fats in the food served in our restaurants. Now this might very well have positive long term effects, and there is no doubt that some of these elected officials might have their hearts in the right place. But I am sorry, banning trans fats was just not at the top of the list of things that we needed to do in Philly right now.
I read this fine article from Daniel Rubin in my local paper, and it was heart breaking to say the least. I mean here we have two generations of black men slaughtered in our streets by other black men as if their lives meant nothing. How sick is that shit? When does it end? It seems I write a post like this at least once a month. I am always moved to write when the Kill in Killadelphia gets to be too much even for me.
Anthony Harris, Peter Styles, Kosai Barouki, and Khalid Trice are all names you are hearing here for the first time, and they are names that you will never hear again. These men were all slaughtered on our mean streets over a three day period, bringing our murder count to 319. But the killings here of young black men by other young black men has become so ordinary, so mundane , that in terms of importance it ranks below the cost of our parking meters going up in Center City. No one notices, and no one cares. Just make sure those Negroes keep shooting each other and no one else. And the real sick thing is that the people who seem more effected by these senseless killings don't care either. Read the story in the link that I gave you again: the young man was shot in broad daylight in front of countless witnesses, yet no one will come forward. This is the culture we live in, where even potential witnesses live by the code of the streets.
I am following a story down in Mississippi, where a young black man allegedly committed suicide after being stopped by a police officer. If it turns out that the police officer's hands were less than clean there will be hell to pay, and rightfully so. But why does it take a white police officer shooting one of our own to send us into rage? Why aren't we outraged at these animals who are terrorising our neighborhoods and causing us to live in fear? Because they look like us? Because they are our own brothers and sons? I don't think so.
These animals are no better than the racist who were lynching us back when the South's most famous crop was "strange fruit" hanging from trees. These animals who kill without conscience and remorse should be priority number one for the people who we elect to look out for our best interest. We are in a war on terror alright, but it ain't against Al Qaeda, it's against our sons.
Yeah it's cool to ban trans fats. But what good will that do if we are killed by a bullet way before the trans fat takes its toll on our hearts? I think I speak for all of us when I say that I would would rather be killed by a burger than a bullet every time.

0 Comments