Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The church that prays together....


There has been so much anger and animosity around here lately that I thought I would post a positive news story for once. And even though my man racism isn't taking time off from harassing me, (h/t Race Traitoress)I figured I would let him play by himself, tonight.

Yep, tonight it's all about the positive from the field; I come to praise A-merry-ca, not put her down.

So anyway, today is Sunday, and it's the day many A-merry-cans choose to go into their various places of worship. Unfortunately, Sunday morning, as Dr. King so famously said, can often be a very segregated time here in A-merry-ca. When it comes to our religion we kind of like it like our sex: we only do it with people we are comfortable with.

But here in Philadelphia a wonderful thing happened today. Two congregations that used to be one but split because of racism 200 years ago, worshiped together in a spirit of unity. From all accounts, (and I know someone who was there) it was a beautiful thing. Black and white folks acknowledging mistakes of the past and vowing to form a bond of Christian brotherhood which is both deep and meaningful.

Credit should go to the two leaders [Rev. Mark Kelly-Tyler & Rev. Alfred Day] of the respective congregations for doing what is right. It's one thing to talk like a Christian but it's quite another to act like one.

I was thinking; wouldn't it be nice if churches kind of did this on a national scale and had this type of interaction all over the country? Kind of like "wife swap" but with church congregations. I think that would work. I don't know about the rest of you, but the church denomination I grew up in always had a black church and a white church; a black conference overseeing things and a white one.

My daddy was a big shot in the church and I remember that it was always something that embarrassed him. I think it's why he chose to work with the church in the islands and not to leave Jamaica. He couldn't stand the idea of being a part of a segregated church family from top to bottom.

"For the congregants at Mother Bethel, “this is really a first step in what we hope will be some ongoing dialogue and continuing fellowship together,”... Showing how to heal two congregations that had been torn apart so violently, he added, “can say something about how we handle this kind of division in today’s world.”

Amen Reverend! And it will insure that we keep certain other Reverends out of the spotlight as well.

Post a Comment

0 Comments