It is with a heavy heart that I write you this letter.
I am forced to write it because it would appear that some of you have been right all along about his Oness and all the terrible things that he has done as our nation's 44th president.
Unfortunately, I let the president's race and the historical significance of his presidency cloud my better judgment.
I found myself defending him over and over again against attacks that I thought were unfair and were only directed at him because of his race.
I failed to look at the cold hard facts regarding his presidency and the things that he has done so far throughout his tenure.
Yes, I know that the DOW, Nasdaq, and the S&P 500 keeps chugging along at a record pace, that unemployment has been on a steady decline, and that the budget deficit is shrinking much faster than we expected; that home prices are rising, and, that according to the Fed Chairman, the economy is looking up.
I know that he has overhauled the food safety system, expanded the children's health insurance program (CHIP), advanced women's rights in the work place, and ended don't ask don't tell in the military. And I know that he has increased funding for veterans, and reversed the torture policies of the previous president.
I know that he appointed two pro life women to the Supreme Court, signed into law a fair pay in the workplace bill for women, and that he passed the hate crimes bill and the fair sentencing act as well.
I am familiar with his Obamacare (health care reform after five presidents failed), which, among other things, ended the practice of medical insurance companies denying medical claims for pre-existing medical conditions, and the fact that he signed an executive order which called for tougher emissions controls on automobiles.
Then there is that Osama Bin Laden fellow; I think he killed him (not to mention many of his top lieutenants) , ended the war in Iraq as promised , and that he is withdrawing the troops in Afghanistan.
I also know that he bailed out and turned around the auto industry, and that he passed the stimulus plan when the country was on the brink of a total financial disaster. Oh, and he also recapitalized the banking system, kicked banks out of the federal student loan program, and expanded Pell Grant spending.
But still, I understand that in spite of these things, he pales in comparison (no pun intended) to the great presidents who came before him.
I should have recognized the obvious and not have been in the tank for this man.
I hope that you all will accept my sincerest apology.
Your humble servant, the Field Negro.

0 Comments