Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The n-word conundrum.

TWEET MEIt never fails, there is always someone in the majority population who has to write and pontificate about the use of the n- word, and why black folks can say it and non- black folks can't.

Here is a writer from The Blaze. (Of course she is a conservative, they are the only ones who obsess about being able to use the n- word. ) And this is her take from her twitter account on the subject.

"America is weird. There's this one word (you know the one) that's used casually ALL THE TIME in music and movies, and in entire communities, with no problems. But if you have the wrong skin color and say that word, regardless of context - EVEN IF IT'S A QUOTE - you're canceled.
    There's this tension right now where people want black culture (including slang) to be ubiquitous, but still off limits to non-black people. But culture doesn't work like that. If people are exposed to culture, they adopt it. Deal with it."

    Lauren thinks that America is "weird" because she can't freely use the n-word. Go figure.

    Here is the thing, Lauren. If a group of people choose to use a word that has been used against them in the past, it is their right to do so. I have Italian and Irish friends, and I would never use the G or the M word  whether around my Irish and Italian friends or not. It is not my word to use. And yet, they use these slurs among themselves, and I am perfectly fine with that. They can do it, but I cannot. It's really that simple.

    Women call each other the B word, Gays call each other the F word, but they are allowed, because they are in the class of people using the word among themselves. I, on the other hand, cannot use those words, and I am totally fine with that. If you are not, well then you deserve to be "canceled". (Whatever that means.) 

    Finally, here is another thing, black folks are not trying to push their culture on anybody, so I am not sure who the "these people" are that Lauren is referring to. Irish and Italian culture is "ubiquitous" as well, and yet, there are no opeds written about not being able to freely slur these groups because they slur each other.

    Lauren wants black people to "deal" with others using the n-word because, in her words, American culture demands it. I hope, for the sake of America, that we don't ever get to that place.    

    Post a Comment

    0 Comments