
I guess I should be blogging about another shooting in A-murder-ca. This one in Northern Alabama, a very beautiful part of our country. The killings were allegedly done by a college professor who was denied tenure. Hey, I have a bunch of academics in my family, so I know how important tenure is, but killing three people? Man these are some crazy times we live in.
But enough of the gloom and doom, it's close to Valentine's Day (or, as some people like to say: Valen-times Day. It's Valentine's people. V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E-S) and love is in the air.
In keeping with that theme, a young fellow who is thinking of popping the question wanted to know if his engagement ring was nice enough, and he showed it to the field to get my opinion....."What do you think, field? I don't know man, she is kind of high maintenance, I don't want to come off..you know, like I am cheap."
I am not an expert in these things, I don't know anything about the 4-C's that a ring is supposed to have. All I know is that I am probably still paying for mine. And I know that there is a school of though out there that says you are to pay a percentage of your annual salary for your ring. I think it's 10%, or a months salary or something. (Ladies help me with this one.) Personally, I think that people should just buy what they can afford, and in this recession that only makes more sense. But I am not some love struck youngster, so what do I know? So back to my man. He clearly seemed a bit worried and I felt for him. I was thinking that maybe dude wasn't jumping the broom with the right person if he was going to be this worried about his engagement ring. I don't remember sweating it that much, but then I don't remember Mrs. Field being high maintenance, either.
"Does she have a lot of friends?" Yes field, she does. "Well, yeah, you better make sure it's right. Why don't you show it to one of her girls, and ask them if they think she would like it? No, scratch that", I told him, "she has to see it first. "If she doesn't like it do you think she will tell you?" "Nah man, she would probably just take it and laugh at me with her friends later on." Damn! Dude has some issues.
"Hey man, all I can tell you is that it looks pretty good to me. Is it a carat?" "It's a half."" Ah hell, well you are good. It's not like you are Donald Trump. If she goes to get it appraised, and she might, the jeweler will get your back. You did go to a reputable jeweler, right?" "Yep."
"Well stop worrying and go on and pop the question. Where are you going to do it?" "Over dinner Sunday night. We are going to AC this weekend." Poor guy. You would think he was going on the biggest job interview of his life. Well, maybe in a way he is. " So you are sure she will like it field?" "Yes, I am sure. Now stop worrying", I tell him. "Hey, at least if she says no, you could always return that bad bay." I try to laugh, but from the look on his face my man clearly doesn't think it's funny.
Honestly, maybe it will be best for him in the long run if she does say no.
Oh, before I go I want to give a shout out to a very talented brother, James C. Collier, over at the Acting White Blog, for hooking up my Twitter image for me. That is serious field Negro behavior.

0 Comments