Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

What's in a name?


Someone sent me an e-mail about what I am about to post, (thanks Genevieve) and I honestly thought it was a joke. How could it not be?

They say "truth is stranger than fiction", and that old adage plays itself out more and more every day. Now I am left to wonder: did the Russians know? Is this some kind of a sick joke?

Oh, before I go any further, let me tell you exactly what I am talking about: Here is a quote from BBC news:

"Russia's energy giant Gazprom has signed a $2.5bn (£1.53bn) deal with Nigeria's state operated NNPC, to invest in a new joint venture. The new firm, to be called Nigaz, is set to build refineries, pipelines and gas power stations in Nigeria.

Analysts say the move could further strengthen Russia's role in supplying natural gas to Europe.

The agreement comes during a four-day African tour by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.
As well as forming Nigaz, Russia is keen on developing a trans-African pipeline to transport Nigerian gas to Europe. This could further reinforce Gazprom's already-strong influence over Europe's energy supplies..."

You can't make this shit up. And just what the hell were the Nigerians thinking? They couldn't have negotiated another name? Yes Mr. Medvedev, we appreciate the opportunity to do business with your country, but about that name. Oh field, stop being so sensitive, the Africans probably don't even consider that a slur, it's not like the company is called Quashie Inc. or something. Haven't you ever heard of a coincidence? Just because the word might offend you A-merry-can blacks, doesn't mean that it's a bad word to the rest of the world. I could see if it was in South Africa and called Munt Inc. for crying out loud, then maybe you would have a legitimate beef.

Yes, but consider: What if say a South African company wanted to do business with the Chinese government and decided to incorporate their company as Chink Inc.? Would that be cool? I think not. Or, how about a Japanese company calling itself Doujin Inc. when doing business with an African American owned company? Or, an American company called Gook Inc. in Vietnam? See where I am going with this? Just because the folks in the particular country doesn't take offense, doesn't mean that it is not in poor taste, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that the Russians didn't know what the term meant. I can see them now, laughing their asses off over a couple of fine bottles of Vodka.....wait, that was a stereotype on my part. Bad field Negro! Ha ha ha, Boris, do you believe those Africans? We actually got away with naming the company Nigaz!!! Ha ha ha. They will do anything for money those Africans. Ha ha ha.


But take heart people, apparently some folks in Nigeria aren't so amused, and I can't say that I blame them. Hey, maybe they can get the name changed to Russki or something. I kid I kid.



Post a Comment

0 Comments