
"WASHINGTON - Activists at a conservative political forum snapped up boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab-like headdress on its top flap.
Values Voter Summit organizers cut off sales of Obama Waffles boxes on Saturday, saying they had not realized the boxes displayed "offensive material." The summit and the exhibit hall where the boxes were sold had been open since Thursday afternoon.
Values Voter Summit organizers cut off sales of Obama Waffles boxes on Saturday, saying they had not realized the boxes displayed "offensive material." The summit and the exhibit hall where the boxes were sold had been open since Thursday afternoon.
The box was meant as political satire, said Mark Whitlock and Bob DeMoss, two writers from Franklin, Tenn., who created the mix. They sold it for $10 a box from a rented booth at the summit sponsored by the lobbying arm of the Family Research Council...."
TEN DOLLARS? That's a lot for a box of waffles. Where do I start with this story? Some of you have been e-mailing me and commenting here about this story. And you wondered what my take would be on it. Some of you thought it was purely satire, as Bob DeMoss, one of the creators of the mix said; and you thought that I would see it as such. Well, it's a funny thing about satire: it's kind of like Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart described pornography: "I know it when I see it". Sorry folks, this wasn't satire, it was racism. Maybe I can't give a fair take on this subject, since my disdain for the people who were buying up and selling the Obama waffles is so strong. But that's just the way I see it. There is just too much history with these folks for me to give them a pass.
But then I hear that they didn't only offend my peeps by playing off the negative imagery of Aunt Jemima----that Mammy that A-merry-cans love so much--, but they offended Muslims on the top of the box, and Mexicans on the back. On the back they had an image of Obama in stereo typical Mexican dress, which included a sombrero. The picture was above a recipe for "Open Border Fiesta Waffles" and it said you can serve "four more illegal aliens...while waiting on these zesty treats to invade your home, why not learn a foreign language? " Nice! You gotta love those "Family Research Council" and American Values folks, they sure know how to fire up their base. I bet those pancake boxes were flying out of the booth. And I bet there will be a booming Internet business for these two creators for weeks and weeks to come.
"The Obama campaign declined to comment"
Of course they did. We can't have the "O man playing the victim card now can we. That's the beauty queen's job.

0 Comments