
Who are these people? What drove them? What made them believe in this man and his movement when others did not? On a day when we celebrate one of the greatest days in A-merry-ca's history, let us not forget the people who made this possible: The volunteers the true believers, and the people who worked tirelessly in the trenches to bring what they felt was real change to Washington and to our beleaguered republic. These people, these O-Aide drinking Obamaholics, epitomized what this campaign and this movement was all about.
So today, as the post-mortems begin, and as A-merry-ca starts to realize just how historic this moment is, let us not lose site of the fact that there are still millions of Obamaholics out there who don't want to stop here. They want to volunteer their time and energy to the movement. They want to become a part of something greater than themselves, and they want to contribute to it in any way that they can. Obama touched on these themes while he was campaigning and I hope he follows through. He talked about young people exchanging their time and services for contributions from the government towards their college tuition. He talked about community organizers and elected officials taking a more active roles in their respective communities, and building this country from the ground up. I hope follows through on those themes, because it doesn't take a lot of money to make that happen, all it takes is the bull horn from the bully pulpit.
And the Obamaholics will listen and heed the call. The frat boy blew his chance to unify this nation after 911 and make a real call for service greater than oneself. Let's hope the O man doesn't make the same mistake.
It won't be easy. George Bush and his republican friends did not leave the O man much to work with (that's right give the country to the black man when it is at its worse), and he is going to have to have everyone in A-merry-ca understand that whatever we do, we are going to do it together. Our sacrifices will be shared, it is our country again.
And now a quick public service announcement from the field: Quite a few people have been asking your boy what I am going to do now that the O ness is in the hizhouse. What are you going to have to bitch about now field? No more victimhood field. Are you going to be as hard on your boy as you were George Bush, field?.....
Let me say for the record that I will be right here calling bullshit when I see it. And if you white folks think you are going to be off the hook because a black man is in the beige house, think again. I know the general consensus now is that racism ended on November 4, 2008. Not! And I will be here calling out ignorance as I always have until the day I find Lark Voorhies. And yes, the first day that his O ness messes up, I will be right here calling him on it as well. ("Mess" being a relative term of course) But you Obamaholics knew that, you knew that I sipped the O- Aid but I didn't drink it. Still, let's give the O man a chance, he really inherited a seriously fucked up country. (Thank you George Bush) Rome wasn't built in a day, and O-merica won't be either.
Now about that run.....

0 Comments