This is what a co-worker and (I think) a fellow field Negro told me this morning as I headed into my courtroom plantation. "You gettin 'sof' on that web site of yours dog. I am not feeling the passion like I used to. If I want to read about love and all that current events sh** I will go to one of them other web sites, or the evening news or some shit." Dude is more preaching than talking to me at this point. And since he is one of a handful of people at my 9-5 who know that I blog as the "field Negro" I am a little irritated at fam cause he is kind of putting my shit on blast. " Come on Field you gots to start bringing the noise again Dog, or I am going to drop you from my must read list." "Yeah I hear you; hey, I am just in a slump that's all." "You lucky your shit is usually on point, so I am going to cut you some slack this time, but don't let your shit get 'sof' on me again dog." I am walking away and I hear dude laughing in the background, and I can't even look back at his ass.
Now as much as I hate to admit it, the guy has a point. I don't know if it's Bush fatigue, blogger burnout, or what. But lately I haven't been feeling any passion for writing how I really feel about shit. I know that I have been really fed up with my fellow bloggers out here as well. People who are supposed to be crashing the gates, but who are acting more like gatekeepers. Especially bloggers of color who I expect so much more from. ( I am including myself in this group). Like dude said; we "have gotten sof". I know I am probably suffering from a form of blogger burnout, but what's up with everyone else? Are we all flaming out at the same time? I know African American Pundit posted about this and our apathy towards Katrina a few days back. And my first instinct was to say; who the f**k is he to tell me what I should and shouldn't blogging about, and he doesn't know how many times I have blogged about Katrina? But he might have actually had a point. For him it was Katrina. But there are other grassroots issues out here as well which effect us and which we need to be addressing. Black on black crime, and the shit in Darfur comes quickly to my mind; but there are so many other issues out here which have an effect on black folks.
So yes I am slipping, just like all the other bloggers out here who are blessed with writing skills and access to the world wide web. I think we have been letting the news cycle control our thought process and not staying true to what we should be doing. I know I have.
I am going to try and post again tomorrow, and I just hope that come Monday morning fam won't be calling me out.

0 Comments